Thursday, May 29, 2014

Kids & Money

I have 2 sons. (not these, this is from Google)

One is 10 & we've nicknamed him "money bags", he always has some cash stashed ready to buy something that takes his eye.


The other is 8 & money runs through his hands so fast.



The arrangement for pocket money is that the boys need to keep their room tidy & help with chores.
Kepping your room tidy is clearly explained to them & they acknowledge that they understand, its all clothes away & nothing on the floor.
Doesn't sound too hard.

Thier chores are drying the dishes & unpacking the dishwasher week about and setting the dinner table, maybe even making a little salad for themselves as that is how they prefer their vegies which I make them eat.

Trouble is that they have been getting slack & after warnings the pocket money has stopped.

Money bags & his spendthrift bro don't care, they like their messy rooms & lazy ways.

Yet today spendthrift Master 8 really wanted to buy a book from book club. It was the final day for orders & the book he wanted came with an entry to win a prize pack that looked o so desireable in the book club flyer. He had $3 only. Yesterday Nan came to visit and generously gave them $10 each as she is going on a holiday & loves to spoil them.

Lovely.

By the end of the day he had $13. The desired book is $14. Surely it won't be too hard to get $1...

He asked Nan yet she had no coin.
He asked Dad & he has spent all his money already, it is near the end of the month.
He asked me, Mum, & I said "No".
I had $1 yet I refused him & he went to school spitting mad.

How do we teach him to treat money, or himself really, better?

I don't really know yet I couldn't give him or lend him $1, no way.

Before he has any money he already has plans to spend it.

This is no way to start your financial life & I hope that $1 has its greatest value in a valuable lesson.

That is my hope.

Shall have to wait & see the outcome.

No comments:

Post a Comment