Wednesday, July 20, 2011

Buying Local Art

My birthday is coming up, so in thinking of what I would ask DH for I asked for local art!

I love art but am just an admirer, not an expert.

When our boys were away for the weekend we went & browsed some local galleries. I found lovely art but at prices beyond our meager budget.

Then I was reading, The Tightwad Gazette!, she mentioned making your own artworks. I mentioned this to DH but wasn't really happy about this option. I may end up with a cut out picture from a magazine in a frame. Don't get me wrong, the picture may be perfectly charming and the price wonderful, but I wanted art! Original local art!

So I began looking in op shops. They have loads of original art, not sure about local though but some fine pieces.
I found a still life one, that DH purchased for my birthday and it was framed locally so that fits the bill of , "Original Local Art!". Woo hoo! Success at only $15, how cool is that?

Then today I was browsing an op shop after my second errand of the day & I found another. It was $3 and is a painting of a local beach. It is a "Local original Artwork", also fitting the bill and the budget. This one is more of a landscape but I really like it.

I also picked up a pair of footy boots for DS5 and shoes for DS7, I got me a couple of books to read and a puzzle to do! There was no price on one item and I baulked at the offered price, so I got the footy boots for $5. I bought a necklace also and another one in an op shop at Balnarring, I have my quota of art & necklaces now!

I made my $100 birthday money go a fair way and, unlike previous years, I do have something to show for it!

Happy saving!

No comments:

Post a Comment